When it comes to selling a home, sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference. In our last post, we discussed the dos and don’ts of home DIY projects. Here we’ve collected a few of our favorite DIY projects that can boost the sellability of your home, and that you really can do it yourself!
● A fresh coat of paint goes a long way. We don’t recommend a bright color or a chevron accent wall because those can be a bit too trendy. However, a neutral, clean slate can brighten a room and make the walls look fresh and clean. A colorful front door can make your home’s exterior pop. Red is always popular but why not try eggplant or sage?
● Update lighting fixtures. Outdated fixtures can date your home, so consider investing in new lamp shades, drop lights and sconces to update the interior look of your home. It’s a quick fix and you can keep costs relatively low by comparison shopping. Installation is fairly simple and a little goes a long way. Don’t forget to change the light bulbs, a warmer light is more inviting than a harsh white.
● Minimize personal decor. Of course, if you’re still living in your home when it’s on the market, it’s impossible to put every personal effect away. However, in the real estate industry, we know that buyers have a difficult time picturing themselves in a home that is full of photos and personal items belonging to the current owners. Putting away these pictures and replacing them with more generic decor can help the sales process move along more quickly.
Bonus: If you’re not living in the home, consider hiring a professional Stager to bring in rental furniture that will fill the home and make it feel less empty during showings.
● Enhance the look of your gardens with well maintained beds. Remove weeds, grass and leaves that clutter the view. Plant fresh flowers and shrubs that grow quickly and look full. Mulch can also be laid down between new plants to protect the roots and enhance the look of the garden beds.
● Trim trees and shrubs. Not only will this encourage new growth but trimming long branches can protect your homes exterior as well. Hedge trimmers are inexpensive and easy to use, just be sure you don’t over prune!
● Wash your siding and windows with a pressure washer or hose to remove yard debris, dirt and grime. This is an easy but time consuming task that can make your home look clean and well maintained.
● Consider installing a new mailbox. This is another easy upgrade that can boost sellability and curb appeal without much effort.
Taking the time to make a few updates to the interior and exterior of your home is an easy and affordable way to boost the sellability of your home. From updated fixtures and paint, to an exterior revamp, the idea is helping potential buyers be able to picture themselves in the home. As real estate experts in the Twin CIties market, we have sold hundreds of homes in the past 25 years. Each home has posed new challenges, but these easy DIY techniques have been helpful along the way. Now, we’re sharing them with you in an effort to boost your homes sellability!
Still unsure if you’re ready to put your home on the market? Get in touch with the Max and Kolleen Gygi Team to speak with them about the options.